Our local twist on the classic Cullen Skink. Scallops and smoked haddock soup for all seafood lovers.
- 1 white onion, diced
- ½ leek, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil 1
- glass of white wine
- 3 medium to large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 litre (1¾pt) chicken stock
- 500ml (17 fl oz) double cream
- 6 fresh scallops, hand-caught if possible
- 200g (7oz) undyed smoked haddock, cut in to small 1cm (½in) cubes
- Salt and pepper
Sweat the onion and leek in the oil in a large pan until soft.Add the white wine and let it reduce until the liquid is gone. Put in the cubed potatoes and the chicken stock and simmer for 15-30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Add the double cream and let it heat through. Cut the scallops in half and put into the broth along with the smoked haddock, poaching for a few minutes until they are cooked. Season to taste and serve with crusty white bread or an Isle of Mull Cheddar Crouton.